Happy Earth Day, Beekeeper’s Naturals Hive! Let today be a reminder that a planet without honey bees *isn’t* a place we want to live.
Experts have been noticing a steep decline in honey bee pollinations since 2006, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. While researchers haven’t reached a conclusion about why the bees are disappearing, they do believe that pesticide use, habitat loss, and climate change are contributing factors.
Why we need the bees
👉 Bees are responsible for pollinating one in three bites of your food. (The produce aisle at your local grocery store would be half-empty without the bees.) No 🥦, 🍅, and 🥑.
👉 All of the other creatures that rely on pollinated, grazing food would also be in danger (as would the animals that eat them).
👉 We would lose around $30 billion a year in crops. That means job loss and scarcity of fresh food.
How you can help #SavetheBees
- 💐 Plant a pollinator-friendly garden. Choose flowers on the ultraviolet spectrum to attract the bees. (Don’t forget to leave a shallow water bowl out so that they can rehydrate after a long flight.)
- 🍊 Buy organic food when you can. USDA organic food is grown without the chemical pesticides that hurt the bees. When you buy organic foods, you’re voting against pesticide use with your dollar.
- 🚴♀️ Bike more. Car exhaust fumes have been shown to interfere with the scent cues bees use to guide them toward flowers, fruits, and trees.
The BKN Promise
Beekeeper’s Naturals is supporting our favorite pollinators by:
- Always ensuring that our green apiaries are remote and far away from harmful chemicals, including pesticides.
- Never, EVER overharvesting our hives.
- Letting our bees eat their natural, healthy diet. Honey, royal jelly, and propolis are always on the menu.
- Partnering with one of the leading bee research institutions to raise awareness and support pollinator protection: The University of California Davis Honey Bee Research Facility.
- Donating 10% of the profits from our apparel line to their research.
Photos: Unsplash/Roma Kaiuk, Boba Jaglicic